Ah the Eternal Student
Thursday, January 22, 2009So, since Vegas Jason and I have been pretty diligent about practicing guitar. Now we have 2 guitars. We have an acoustic/electric by Ovation and now we have the electric by Schecter. It's sad to say that the Ovation is our least favorite. But times are tough and we can't really afford to buy a new guitar. We were thinking about selling it for a more traditional acoustic, but we figure that as long as we get it re-set that it will do for now. The issue with the Ovation is that we get fret-buzz, which is rather annoying from time to time. It seems to go away if I lightly strum on the strings, instead of strumming like an absolute novice. But that's what's so great about getting a beginner acoustic, you still sound pretty damn awesome regardless of the fact that you're a novice. So we'll see how funds go. I really do want a purple guitar. I settled for a red one only because it was different. And I was a bit naive when purchasing. I didn't think to do more research than I did at the time. I did find a list of the best beginner acoustics online. I'm thinking of going into some stores to feel a few these out: Takamine G340, Ibanez AC30NT or Taylor 100/200 series.
I'm partial to the Takamine and Taylors because I know I can get them custom in purple. I like the Taylors, I believe they're a richer purple than the Takamines. I did see a sweet looking guitar over at Haight & Ashbury, but I'd have to pass by there again some time to see what brand it was.
Other than all of that, Jason is teaching himself to play. Which I believe is far more fundamental than taking a group class. Sure you'll learn music fundamentals, such as the circle of fifths, but learning to actually play is really an independent thing. I've been practicing my chords and strum patterns. Which I may add, am very damn proud of! I'm currently trying to teach myself about variations. I only came across it because many of the songs I want to play have variations. So, I do intend to learn them.
For quite some time now Jason and I have been taking Salsa at a nearby ballroom dance studio. I love this studio so much that I'm thinking of taking other classes. I want to take Cha Cha with Jason, just because it's so much fun to do! I also want to take Rhumba and Samba and maybe even Argentine Tango. Swing is so much fun, so I want to take that also. Currently my dance shoes are about 3 inches. I'm thinking of maybe getting a 2.5 in the near future. It's always good to have more than one pair. Jason doesn't have any shoes, I don't know if it's because he's embarassed by it or if he just doesn't want to spend the money on it. He knows they're more comfortable and that it makes dancing smoother. But, eh, we'll see if maybe he'll get a pair in the future.
He's been wanting to take Hip-Hop classes for the longest time. I myself do not anticipate on taking classes only because it's been so long since I've danced and I just don't want to make a fool out of myself. Maybe also age myself when I start panting. A friend of mine knows the teacher who we would take the class from and advises that indeed he is very good at what he does. Classes start on the 3rd of Februray and I'm nervous about it! I'm also thinking of taking Beginning Ballet. It's very good exercise and I just want to learn their stretches, they're very similar to Pilates. In fact, that's where they take the idea from.
Hmm, what else is in store for the two of us? Well we do plan on taking language courses in the Fall. French is number one on our list. But meanwhile, I've been learning French via podcasts! It's so much fun. I do retain quite a bit of what I've learned so far. But, I wouldn't mind taking formal courses.
Ah so, while we're at it, I wanted to update my Bucket List...add a few, cross-out a few!
MARLYN'S BUCKET LIST
- Obtain my Bachelor's Degree May 2008
- Obtain my Master's Degree
- Travel to Europe May 2008
- Travel to Asia
- Travel to South America
- Travel to Africa
- Travel to the Middle East? (Isreal?, Dubai?)
- Go to NY fashion week
- Go to WMC in Miami
- Celebrate Mardi Gras in New Orleans
- Ride on a motorcycle September 2008
- Ride on a hot air balloon
- Own a house
- Buy land
- Get a puppy
- Go horseback riding
- Compete in an armature ballroom dance competition
- Compete in Merrie Monarch/Tahiti Fete
- Go white water rafting
- Snowboarding
- Surfing March 2008
- Become a lifeguard
- Ride a pace car
- Visit major baseball stadiums (NY, Chicago, Boston...etc)
recently added
- Learn to speak French
- Learn to speak German
- Learn to speak Italian
- Learn to speak Chinese
- Learn to speak Vietnamese
- Learn Ballet
- Rock Climbing
Looking back at this list makes me think that I need to cross out a few more! I think I'll be able to knock out Learn Ballet and Snowboarding by next month! I got to think of more things to add on that thing. Keep you all posted!
0 comments